f

Friday, June 2, 2017

Easy Summer Sewing/Islander Easy V Express

I had hoped to have my new episode of Sewbussted's Material Witness up for you today, but alas, I have not finished the tutorial portion of the post, so it will have to wait just a bit longer. But, once it's up, I think you'll truly enjoy it :)

I got up this morning and said to my husband, "I want to be like Mike." You may remember the commercials that aired a number of years ago when this little kid said, "I want to be like Mike." The Mike he was referring to was Micheal Jordan. While Micheal Jordan''s athletic abilities are something to be admired, I'm referring to a totally different Mike. 

I absolutely love going to the theater. There's just something about watching a live production play out in front of me. A number of years ago, my husband and I saw a play about 4 men who had been taken prisoner in a middle eastern country. They spent years in total darkness. All very accomplished men prior to being taken captive. Based on a true story, it was interesting and heartbreaking to watch how they dealt with captivity. One of the actors in that play was Mike Nussbaum. My husband and I both were so taken with his performance, and have followed him since.


Last night we had the opportunity to see him in a play entitled, Relativity. It's a fictional story about an encounter that Albert Einstein could have had with a daughter that he and his wife in real life had given up to adoption. At 94 years old, Mike Nussbaum was absolutely incredible, and he held my attention throughout the entire play. The play also addresses questions about what is important in life, work, family and does one trump the other. Very thought provoking. If you are anywhere in the Chicagoland area, I would encourage you see the play. It's been held over until June 23rd, so there's still time. Just click on the link above for more info. 

Over the summer, we are going to have a little sew along of sorts with the Haute Couture Club of Chicago. Just a little something to encourage everyone to do a little sewing over the summer. We've chosen a lovely little top from Islander Sewing Systems. It's the new Easy V Express


To introduce the pattern, I am making it up...today :/, to wear tomorrow. I'm going to lengthen the pattern and make a dress. I've looked through the pattern and the instructions live up to the name, only 3 pieces and it is so very simple to put together.

I love finding pieces at the resale shop that I can use as fabric. Below is a strapless dress that I purchased a couple of months ago and pulled on over my t-shirt for this picture. The fabric is really nice and I like the pattern. While this would be cute on hot summer days, I think I'll enjoy it more made into the Islander Easy V Express. 


I'll show you the final garment tomorrow. 

For the sew along, I will be making up a few examples of the pattern, maybe changing the sleeve, making it sleeveless. Lots of options. If you would like to sew along with us, pop over to the Islander website and pick up a pattern. In later posts, I'll give you the opportunity to share your makes, and we'll also have conversations on our Facebook page which you can find HERE

I'm really looking forward to some fun summer sewing!



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

2 comments:

  1. I bought this pattern as soon as I received the Islander e-mail introducing it. Happy to hear you will be showcasing this one! Maybe I'll get to sew along...............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so!!! It'll be nice to see what you do 😊

      Delete